Built in 1937, Zahm Hall is named in honor of Rev. John Augustine Zahm, C.S.C., a 1871 Notre Dame graduate who, as a scientist, Dante scholar, and international explorer, was the renaissance man of his day. His efforts as Vice President of Notre Dame and later as Provincial of the Indiana Province of the Congregation of Holy Cross helped lay the groundwork for the modern research institution Notre Dame is today. Zahm is known for its tight-knit community and deep commitment to community service. Residents participate in a variety of service opportunities and sponsor the Zahm Carnival each year in collaboration with the Robinson Center to benefit the children of South Bend. Zahm is also home to Za Pizza, a pizza parlor in the basement of the hall, that donates all profits to charity.