Constructed in 1909 and dedicated in honor of Fr. Thomas Walsh, the 6th President of the University, Walsh Hall was considered luxurious at the time it was built. Walsh was one of the first halls to feature single rooms, closets, private bathrooms, and bay windows, as well a bowling alley in the basement. Walsh originally housed 173 men, and was converted to a women’s hall in 1972 to house Notre Dame’s first female students.   Walsh has beautiful chapel dedicated to The Visitation, and hand crafted stain glassed windows with these depictions.  

The Walsh community will reside in the Pangborn building for the 2016-17 academic year while the Walsh building undergoes renovations.  After the 2016-17 academic year, the community of women from Walsh will permanently move back into the renovated Walsh building.