Built in 1924 and named after lay professor and future Indiana Supreme Court Justice, Timothy Edward Howard, Howard Hall was the first residence hall constructed in coordination with the location of two other halls to form the cornerstone of the South Quad. Originally built as a men’s residence hall, Howard was the first hall to incorporate Gothic architecture, featuring two arches as well as decorative stone carvings of students, animals, and a saint. The women who now reside in Howard annually host Totter for Water, which involves residents rocking on a giant teeter-totter to raise money for the Water Project to fund the construction of wells in Africa. They are also known for their annual Chapel Crawl, in which residents and friends celebrate Mass in every residence hall throughout the Lenten season. Howard Hall was last named Hall of the Year in 2011-2012.