Dillon Hall was built in 1931 with Rockne era football revenues. It is named after Rev. Patrick Dillon, CSC, who followed Fr. Sorin as the second president of the university. The chapel in Dillon Hall is named St. Patrick's Chapel, because Fr. Dillon's first name was Patrick. Knute Rockne died in March, 1931, while the building was under construction. As a tribute to Coach Rockne, a side altar, dedicated to St. Olaf, was included in St. Patrick's chapel. St Olaf is the patron saint of Norway, where Knute Rockne was born.
Rev. Paul Doyle, C.S.C.
The Corgel Family Rector of Dillon Hall
Ordained as a Holy Cross priest in 1977, Rev. Paul Doyle became rector of Dillon in 1997. Father Paul received his B.A. in Economics, and a Master of Divinity from the University of Notre Dame. From 1980-1985, he was pastor of St. Joseph Parish in South Bend, Indiana. For several years, Father Paul served as Director of Old College, an undergraduate seminary program at Notre Dame, as well as Assistant Superior of Moreau Seminary. From 1991-1997, he served as the religious superior at Corby Hall, while also being a member of the Officers’ Group and the Board of Trustees at the University.
|Number of Sections||9|
|Number of Floors||3|
|Number of Rooms||167|