Originally constructed as a men's residence hall in 1939, Breen-Phillips Hall was named after its benefactors, alumni and brothers-in-law William P. Breen and Frank B. Phillips. During World War II, Breen-Phillips served as a home for naval officers in training, and, at one point, the athletic department, including the office of then head football coach Frank Leahy, was located in the basement. Breen-Phillips became one of the first women’s residence halls after the University began admitting women in 1972. The Breen-Phillips Meal Auction, the hall’s signature event, raises donations for Meals on Wheels from students bidding to eat with coaches, faculty, and other ND notables.